About Nezu Shrine
The History Of Nezu Shrine
It is said that more than 1,900 years ago, Yamatotakeru no Mikoto established this ancient shrine in Sendagi to worship the divine virtues of Susano-no-mikoto on his way to conquer the eastern barbarians.
During the Bunmei era (1469-87), the shrine was built by Ota Dokan.
During the period of Shintoism and Buddhism, the shrine was called Nezu Gongen Shrine, and was called Nezu Sanja Daigongen, with the deity Susanoo-no-mikoto (eleven-faced Kannon Bosatsu) and Sannou Daigongen (Yakushi Nyorai) and Hachiman Daibosatsu (Amitabha Nyorai) enshrined in the two pavilions.
The present site was the Yamate residence of Kofu Prime Minister Tsunashige Tokugawa (third son of the third shogun Iemitsu, father of the sixth shogun Ienobu) in the Edo period, and the birthplace of Tsunatoyo (Ienobu), who later became the sixth shogun.
In 1705, the fifth Shogun Tsunayoshi Tokugawa appointed Tsunatoyo (Ienobu), the son of his elder brother Tsunashige, as his adopted son, and dedicated the land where he lived to Nezu Gongen Shrine, the birthplace of Ienobu.
In the Meiji era (1868-1912), the name of the shrine was changed from Nezu-gongen-sha to Nezu-jinja due to the separation of Shinto and Buddhism, and when the Emperor Meiji made a trip to the east, the shrine was designated as an official shrine and an imperial envoy made a prayer for the safety of the nation.
The shrine was partially damaged by the war in 1945, and restoration work was completed in 1959. The Karamon gate, the Sukibei fence, and the Romon gate were also repaired and completed in 1962, restoring the shrine to its former glory.
相殿 Aidono(enshrinement of two or more deities in one building of a shrine)
大国主命(Okuninushi-no-mikoto)・菅原道真公 (Sugawara Michizane)
厄除祈願 warding off evil spirits
家内安全 household safety
病気平癒 diseases cure
延命長寿 health and longevity
心願成就 realization of one’s earnest wishes
安産祈願 safe delivery
学業成就 academic achievement
商売繁盛 business prosperity
In 1705, the fifth shogun, Tsunayoshi Tokugawa, designated Tsunayo (Ienobu , the sixth shogun), the son of his elder brother Tsunashige, as his adopted son, and dedicated the site of his residence to Nezu Shrine, the birth deity of Ienobu, and undertook a major construction project known as “Tenka Bushin. The Gongen-zukuri main shrine building, the hall of offerings, the hall of worship, the Karamon gate, the Nishimon gate, the Sukibei fence, and the tower gate, all of which were completed in 1706, are still in existence, and are designated as National Important Cultural Properties of Japan.
駒込稲荷神社 Komagome inari shrine
乙女稲荷神社 Otome inari shrine
Before the shrine became a precinct, when it was a subordinate residence of Tsunayoshi’s elder brother, Tsunashige, lord of the Kofu domain, Kirishima azaleas were transplanted from Tatebayashi, a famous azalea viewing spot, on the hill west of the residence, and it was called Tsutsujigaoka, a famous scenic spot in the prefecture. After restoration of the shrine building damaged in the war was completed, 3,000 azaleas were planted on the hill, which had been desolate, and the Bunkyo Azalea Festival has been held since 1970. During the flowering season, 3,000 azaleas of 100 varieties bloom in a variety of colors.
Annual festival（September 21st）
Ienobu Tokugawa, the 6th Shogun, established the festival of this shrine under the shogunate system, and in 1714 (Shotoku 4), floats were sent out from all the towns in Edo to perform the grand festival, which was called the “Tenka Matsuri” along with the Sanno Matsuri and the Kanda Matsuri. The three existing large portable shrines were dedicated by Ienobu at this time.